RAR files are compressed files that can be extracted using zipping tools. Let’s take a quick look at how it works.
RAR is the file extension of the once popular zipping tool WinRAR. These days, a all-in-one solution called 7zip has basically replaced functions of WinRar.
However, WinRar is still an extremely valuable tool for multi-file archives and password-protected archives. If you ever need to put a password on a folder and files, WinRar is probably your best bet.
Open RAR With 7-Zip
1. Download 7-zip from 7-zip.org, make sure you download the correct version for your operating system. If you are on Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit you need to pick the correct one. If you don’t know what Windows 10 version you are using, you can read this guide
3. Open the downloaded exe file. If any antivirus complains, dismiss it, this is an open-source and legit file. A UAC prompt will appear asking to confirm the launch of the exe. Extract it to a destination e.g. C:\Program Files\7-Zip\
4. Windows 10 is now capable of opening RAR files!
5. Locate your RAR file – if you don’t know the exact location, you can open the Windows explorer (Windows key + E) and then enter *.rar into the search field
6. Right-click on the RAR file and click on open archive:
7. If you want RAR files to be associated with 7zip by default, open 7ip. Upon first launch RAR files will be automatically assigned to 7zip. So start 7zip and confirm the file association.
If the file association does not show up, open 7zip, go to Tools, select Options and select the extension rar. Use the + button to associate it with 7zip!
Are There Other Ways To Open RAR Files?
Yes, there are a multitude of zipping tools that can open RAR files such as peaZip, jZip and possibly a thousands other tools. Google the term zipping tool.