DirectX is an integral part of Windows 10 – the latest version DirectX12 can give you a higher FPS and lower latency while gaming. Here’s where to download it.
|About DirectX 12 (DX12)|
|Do I Need DX12 on Windows 10?|
|What DirectX Version Do I Need On Previous Versions?|
|What Games Support DX12?|
|What Nvidia Cards Support DX12?|
|What AMD Cards Support DX12|
About DirectX 12
DirectX supports multiple CPU cores and can boost your GPU performance, reducing lag and increasing FPS.
If you own an 8-core or 6-core CPU you will notice a greater than usual boost, because DirectX12 can spread the workload across several CPU cores as illustrated below
Do I Need To Install DirectX12 On Windows 10?
No, Windows 10 already includes DirectX 12.
You don’t have to download it, but developers can download a SDK from Microsoft. If you are still interested in downloading DirectX for whatever reason, here is a mirror on our site:
What DirectX Version Do I Need On Previous Windows Version?
Windows 7 and 8 do not support DirectX 12 at this point?
In short: No, they dont
For the latest downloadable DirectX installer, you can grab a copy here:
This will install a clean copy. You do not have to install this on Windows 10
What Games Currently Support / Require DirectX12?
Most games will run just fine with previous versions of DirectX, but for the latest shader effects and best performance you need DirectX12. Here are some games that currently support the latest iteration:
DX12 games you can play right now:
- Ark: Survival
- Arma 3
DX12 games you can play in 2016:
- Call of Duty Black Ops 3
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided (2016)
- Hitman (2016 game)
- Star Citizen
- Tom Clancy’s The Division (2016)
- Far Cry Primal (2016)
Here are some of the Blur effects in Ark Survival Evolved:
What NVIDIA Graphic Cards Support DirectX 12?
Here is a list of NVIDIA GPU’s that support DX12:
- GTX TITAN X + Z
- GTX 980 TI
- GTX 980
- GTX 910-970
- GTX 820-880M
What AMD Graphic Cards Support DirectX 12?
- AMD Radeon™ R9 Series graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R7 Series graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R5 240 graphics
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series graphics for notebooks
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series graphics (HD 7730 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
- AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
- AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
- AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)
- AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)